Direct to garment printing (or DTG Printing) is a process of printing on clothing using modified inkjet technology. DTG printing applies specialized textile inks directly into the fibers of the clothing that is being printed. A DTG Printer is a t-shirt printing machine that uses inkjet technology. The Term DTG means Direct to Garment. Direct to Garment Printing is self-explanatory. The machine prints Directly on the shirt or other apparel. They can print on t-shirts, hoodies, onesies, koozies, socks, shoes, hats, Wood, there was also one that was printing pictures on cakes at one point.
These machines produce High quality, Full color Printing. They are capable of printing High resolution quality images. Having one is necessary for any shirt printing business. If your custom t-shirt business is producing screen prints you
can make so much more money with dtg and Heat transfer vinyl as perfect add-ons. All you need is a digital Heat press to lay down the fibers on the shirt and cure the ink. We recommend using a heat press machine, but you can also use a conveyor to cure the ink. They are not used for transfer printing or a digital transfer. This is not a transfer machine. These are industrial and commercial printing machines that are made for garment printing.
7 Reasons to Use Direct to Garment Printing
- No minimum quantities. You can get as few as 1 shirt printed.
- DTG is full color. Whether you need 1 color printed or 50 colors printed in your design, they’re all included at no extra charge.
- Print photos. Are you looking to print a funny picture of a friend for a prank? Maybe a photo of grandbabies printed on a t-shirt for a gift? DTG is the answer.
- Vibrant print colors. The print quality is outstanding allowing vivid ink colors. Check out a few examples of DTG printing here.
- Fast production. For small quantities, production can be much quicker than screen printing, because there is less machine and art prep time for printing.
- Amazing detail. If your design has fine details, DTG is a great choice because your artwork will print vividly.
- Large imprint area. Your design can print as large as 14″ W x 16″ H on the front and/or back of the shirts.
As you can see, Direct to Garment printing can be very handy when you need fast service for a small quantity of a full color t-shirts.